They help strands grow longer and stronger over time.
By Rebecca Deczynski
Published on March 26, 2021
If you finish every hair wash day by cleaning up an alarming number of fallen strands from your shower drain, you’re not alone. Hair loss is a common issue that can be caused by chronic illness, pregnancy, menopause, genetics, stress, and a number of other factors. By seeing a medical professional—whether it’s a dermatologist or a hair loss specialist like a trichologist—you can get to the (literal) root of your hair loss and then determine the best way to treat it.
There are many methods that can help thicken your strands, from using hair growth serums (including clinically proven topical treatments like minoxidil, aka Rogaine) to taking vitamins for hair growth to getting in-office treatments. Shampoo is just one part of the equation, but when you use the right product for the issues you’re facing, you’re more likely to get the results you want. We tapped dermatologists, as well as a physician and a trichologist, to learn which shampoos they recommend most for thinning strands and hair loss.
These are the 9 best shampoos for thinning hair, according to experts:
- Best Overall: Nizoral Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- Most Nourishing: Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Clinical Densifying Shampoo
- Best Budget Option: Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying Shampoo
- Best Clarifying: Ouai Detox Shampoo
- Best Strengthening: Isdin Lambdapil Hair Loss Shampoo
- Best for Scalp Health: Advanced Trichology HairStem Shampoo
- Most Customizable: Nioxin Cleanser Shampoo
- Best Volumizing: Biolage Advanced Full Density Thickening Shampoo
- Best for Damaged Hair: Olaplex No.4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo
What shampoo you use is just as important as how often you use it. “Proper daily shampooing can help stimulate the scalp as well as unclog hair follicles and clear accumulated oil, sebum, and dry skin,” physician Azza Halim, MD, tells Health. “One should shampoo at least every three days to stimulate and keep the scalp clean.”